The secret zipper is one of the most common types of fasteners used in clothes and haberdashery for joining parts of products. The main advantage of such a zipper is invisibility since the teeth of the zipper in the buttoned-up are completely covered with fabric braid, in addition, the color of the braid and slider is usually matched to the color of the product. To stitch such a fastener, you will need a secret foot for sewing in, which has special grooves in the sole where the zipper teeth fall.
How to sew a secret zipper:
- Set the sewing machine foot for the home sewing the hidden zipper.
- Open the opened zipper with the face to the prepared allowance on the product so that the line of teeth coincides with the edge of the cut. The edge of the cut is recommended to pre-overlay with a three-thread overlock seam to prevent shedding of fabric. If thin and friable fabrics are used, then it is also advisable to strengthen the allowances for sewing flashes of lightning with non-woven fabric.
- After lining, fix the position of the clasp with the studs in the direction from top to bottom.
- In this form, place the product under the foot, so that the teeth are located in the leftmost groove of the foot to the right of the needle. Stitch the left side of the clasp along the entire length from the upper to the lower stop of the slider. After the operation is completed, close the zipper.
- In the same way, but the right edge of the zipper tape to the allowance cut and secure it to the product with a pair of studs. After that, open the clasp again.
- In this form, place the product under the foot, so that the teeth are located in the far-right groove of the foot to the left of the needle. Stitch the right side of the clasp along the entire length from the upper to the lower stop of the slider. After the operation is completed, close the zipper.
- Set the universal double-arm foot on the sewing machine wiki and sew the cuts of the cut parts below the cut mark for the zipper. Bring the stitch as close to the bottom stopper of the clasp. After completing the stitching, reinforce the reinforcement at the end of the seam.